Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Locked Global Announcement Moderation Policy - Read & Heed (Read 3,837 times)
JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Moderation Policy - Read & Heed
Feb 10th, 2015 at 10:45pm
There are no actions to perform.
Thanks to all for your recent opinions, and those given to me in the past.

A. I waited for timed banning to work before using it.á There was a reason, just as beating your dog every time it acts like a dog is counterproductive, so is over-using a tool like banning.á If you want discipline to be effective, use it sparingly.

B.á Several times I have asked people to come up with group policies on forum behavior.á I have also proposed rules myself; no one seems to like any of them -- I suspect because, at some point, we all piss each other off and would not want an Admin or Moderator to arbitrarily use (abuse) a rule on ourselves.

Consequently , I have developed a working model for this instead of absolute rules.
á 1.á Accept opinions/differences.
á 2.á Correct behaviors.

Your dog cannot help being a dog (that IS what you value actually). So, if he/she barks occasionally, it's being a dog. On the other hand, if the dog barks incessantly or bites/attacks others more than once or twice, YOU have a problem that YOU don't seem to be able to fix. Do the right thing, either; get the beastie (and yourself) some training, give up the animal, or in the worst case -- put it down.

Thus -

Some signature lines and/or choices of avatars may have an edge you find a bit troubling. Well, that is part of the territory for social animals. If it's over the line, I will be the first to call it out. We already have an intolerant world (often egged on by anonymous technology), don't add to the problems.

I personally don't care if you wish to carry on flame wars via PM. In part, that is what they are for, right???á Hey, you can even send them unfunny pictures to let them know how you feel.á They can also block or ignore you.á If it's a personal thing, keep it that way.

Here's my 'big list' of no-no-s for POSTS -

Direct Spamming - Zero Tolerance.á 

Sig Lines/Avatars. These (IMO) are personal speech, you are reflecting your world. If you have YOUR OWN website, an opinion statement, motto or logo - adding it to your sig line or profile is AOK.á That's why we have a tool to set when you meet a threshold.á If you take offense, you might try a PM to that person before complaining. We can always turn them off too.

Profane speech, graphics, media or links. (anywhere)

Religious, Political, Ethnic or Sexual insults (anywhere)á 

Dead Horse beating. If someone has politely responded to your post (particularly an Admin, GM or Moderator), leave it at that.á You want to complain/whine - that is the correct use of PM's.

Ad Hominem attacks. Respond to the point in discussion; do not set up straw men, use other's opinions without their approval, or attack personal characteristics of other posters.

Baiting other users, a corollary of the above. No 'neener-neener' among adults please, you shoulda left that somewhere in puberty.

Correcting others without evidence or substantiation. If you have a technical response that indicates another's post may be in error; either test and give an example, or cite a source & provide a link.á If a Support Team Member, GM or Admin disagrees directly with your response and you STILL think you are right, PM them with your case.

Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Moderation Policy - Read & Heed
Reply #1 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 12:26pm
This is a primarily Support Forum We have provided areas for opinions. thinking aloud and being silly -- and several people have pointed out I missed a few important items that are very important on Support/Bugs/Development

Thread Hijacking

Off-Topic Replies

Closely related items, and clearly no-nos.á We all realize that sometimes things wander, when in doubt look at the Original Post. If your reply is not about THAT issue, then your reply fits one of those categories.

Topics/Threads are the Original Poster's options.á It's their issue

If you don't have an answer, don't use that feature, or don't have that version of the software, please let the YaBB team handle the questions in Support/Bugs/Development Boards.á If you don't know if it is relevant, but want to help - send a PM to the Team member that made the original reply or send it to the Original Poster.á I do that all the time with Dandello, to avoid confusing the issue.

We have working Moderators, and I think things are going quite well.á Therefore, I am leaving those duties in their hands.á Moderators are like umpires, so unless we need a replay/review (like banning), their call on the field stands.á 

Thanks everyone.

Cool
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2015 at 12:28pm by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Moderation Policy - Read & Heed
Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2016 at 2:10pm
Dandello's addendum: Commenting on old/dead threads for no apparent reason is extremely suspect. If a thread hasn't been posted to in months or years that thread should be considered closed - the matter was handled and no more comments are necessary. 

If you have a similar issue, please start a new thread and link back to the old one if it actually pertains to your situation.

Old threads here do not need to be 'bumped' - EVER.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools